Within LaVergne High School’s safe, nurturing, and inclusive academic environment, we will provide the necessary supports to ensure that all students graduate prepared for diverse futures with endless opportunities.
- Train and support exceptional educators to create a culturally responsive environment conducive to meeting the academic, social and emotional needs of all of our students.
- Engage students in meaningful and relevant academic instruction that encourages curiosity and innovation.
- Create a positive school culture that motivates students to strive for excellence in all areas.
- Inspire students to embrace diversity and use their unique voices to create change both inside and outside the classroom.
- Prepare students to join a global society by building meaningful relationships across cultures.
- Growth- We have growth mindsets. We believe in improvement and getting better each day. We focus on personal growth. We work to address the growth needs of all of our students. We grow the whole child (academically, socially and emotionally). We want each student to understand their strengths and build on them in order to succeed.
- We help all students learn at their highest level of ability and achieve academic growth.
- We inspire students to discover their strengths and give them rigorous, relevant learning opportunities in order to prepare them for a promising future.
- We respect students in authentic, caring and culturally responsive classrooms so that they will discover and use their unique voices.
- We foster curiosity so that students will become lifelong learners.
- We empower students to use their voices to create change.
- We provide an emotionally safe environment, which decreases emotional distress and aids in students developing positive attitudes about themselves and others.
High Expectations - We have high expectations of ourselves and our students. We believe that our students are capable and have the ability to excel in all areas. All of our words and actions reflect high expectations.
Excellence - We strive for excellence in all areas. We create a culture that motivates our students to strive for excellence in all areas by giving their best effort to produce their best work academically, athletically, artistically, etc.
Relationships - We value the impact of relationships. We work to build strong, meaningful relationships with students and colleagues. We encourage our students to form relationships across groups and to value different perspectives.
Diversity - We find strength in diversity and build relationships across generations and cultures. We accept all cultures in the school and seek to learn about the unique perspectives of people from cultures different from our own.
Community - We work together to build a community where everyone feels safe and supported through caring relationships. We embrace the cultural diversity of our school and community.
Prepare students for college and career readiness by increasing the average ACT composite score to a 21 or higher, increasing early post-secondary enrollment and maintaining our high graduation rate. This goal will continue to focus on preparing our students for post-secondary opportunities. This includes raising our average ACT score composite with a focus on our reading and math college readiness. With the Ready Graduate requirement, we will also focus on ensuring all students have access to early post-secondary opportunities as well as work-based learning opportunities.
Increase English Language Arts and Math achievement to ensure all students are prepared for the next grade level expectations. This goal will continue to focus on moving all students and all subgroups towards on grade-level ELA & math performance and being prepared for the challenging standards they will encounter in the next grade or content area.
Implement strategies to ensure all students receive a well-rounded education and the opportunity to learn in a safe and healthy environment. This goal will continue to emphasize increasing all students’ opportunities to learn on a daily basis in a safe and healthy environment. The focus of this goal will include decreasing chronic absenteeism rates and promoting positive behavior and health supports to keep students in the classroom and ready to learn. In addition, the goal includes looking at how we are utilizing supplementary services and enrichment programs to promote a well-rounded education.
LHS will recruit, retain, and train effective teachers, instructional leaders, and administrators to support our growing and diverse student population. This goal will continue to focus on ensuring we have effective teachers in every classroom. This includes a focus on recruiting high-performing teachers while providing leadership opportunities, trainings, incentives, and a culture necessary to retain our highly effective educators.
Additional Goals to help support reaching the goals outlined above:
- Build a safe and supportive community through restorative practices and teaching and reinforcing community behavior expectations.
- Ensure that all students feel like they belong at our school and feel valued because their cultures and languages are affirmed and represented.
- Use student-centered, culturally responsive/ inclusive instruction practices to empower students to embrace their cultures and create change.
- Support each student in identifying their personal strengths and interests in order to be confident and capable lifelong learners.