Why is Teaching Vocabulary Important?
- Vocabulary is the foundation of all learning.
- Vocabulary should be taught in all subject areas.
- Vocabulary Instruction is key to closing the achievement gap between socioeconomic groups.
- Based on a study by Kirsch 2003, by age three students from wealthier families have mastered over 1,100 words, middle class families have mastered around 749 words, and poverty stricken families only around 525 words.
- Reading comprehension and vocabulary acquisition are intricately linked.
- There is no vocabulary acquisition without picturing. This is extremely important for our ELL students.
- Vocabulary instruction must be frequent and structured. See this article Marzano's Six Step Approach
- Students need multiple and various exposures to uncommon words
- New technologies can be effective in helping students practice new words.